https://davidirvine.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/09/1695826918612.jpg 800 2400 David Irvine https://davidirvine.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/davidirvinelogo_2021.png David Irvine2023-09-27 14:32:242023-09-27 14:32:24Leadership is not always easy, but it’s worth it.
Here are a few ways that indicate you are doing a good job as a leader – even when it feels like you may not be.
- Connection. People initiate a connection with you. They come into your office. They reach out to you. They seek your advice. Initiating connection is an indication of trust.
- Results. The results are there. You are achieving your goals. You are achieving the goals of the organization. And you’re doing it as a team.
- Empowerment. People around you feel good about their own success and the success of the team. They express pride in working together to achieve something difficult. Credit goes to the team, not you.
- Self-Honesty. Just questioning whether you are a good leader indicates humility and an effort to be honest with yourself – qualities of a great leader. I don’t trust anyone who doesn’t admit to a healthy dose of self-doubt every once and awhile.
- Enjoyment. This is, for me, the most important measurement. I suppose there are a few incompetent leaders who enjoy themselves, but most are stressed and anxious. When you’re enjoying yourself (at least most days), and the people around you are relaxed and having a great time doing hard stuff, you are doing something right as a leader.
You may have your own list. I’d love to hear what is on it.