The pandemic has created an opportunity to shine a light on the quality and depth of your life, your leadership, and your relationships. The past several months have been a time of reflection and evaluation to ask questions such as:
- Where is my career going?
- Do I really want to spend the rest of my days working seventy hours a week?
- How can I be a better leader by focusing on what truly matters?
One client talked about how, for the past twenty-five years, she was in the “rhythm of a corporate tune, continually reacting to the demands of others.” She said, “Now is the time to find my own new rhythm.”
I offer some strategies for moving into the next chapter of your life as you settle into the new reality which will likely be with us long-term:
- Decide to see this as an opportunity. Choices have great power to determine the outcome of your life.
- Make room to step back, pull out a journal, and answer some questions:
- What’s been working well in your life?
- What areas are not flowing/working well?
- Where might you be over-accommodating, compromising yourself, and burning out?
- What parts of your life have you felt most excited/passionate about?
- What do you feel called to do?
- What might need to shift/change/end?
- Reach for your why – your reason for being – an inspiring purpose for getting out of bed in the morning.
- Reflect on your most important values.
- Consider your unique abilities, talents, and gifts that set you apart from the crowd.
- Plan on how you will contribute and serve the world over the next five to ten years.
- Include your loved ones in your plans and intentions.
Authentically shaping the next chapter of your life, whether you stay in your current role, decide to renew it, make a transition to a new role or even a new career, or are considering what retirement might look like, requires careful and conscious attention. From time to time, we all drift away from our true nature. When we realign with our authentic self, we amplify our positive impact as a leader and create meaning and purpose in our life.
If you want to learn ways to shape the next chapter of your life in alignment with your authentic self, please join me for a complimentary one-hour webinar on September 23. This – and more – will be included in the webinar and in my upcoming virtual Life In Transitions course.